Spartan Armor Systems is a strong supporter of Police, Sheriff, SWAT, Fire, EMTs and all First Responders who selflessly serve our communities. Law enforcement officers in particular face enhanced threats due to the nature of their work. The following data provides insight into the need for body armor that can defeat these enhanced threats. Spartan Armor Systems has developed a variety of ballistic body armor plates that are compliant with NIJ 0101.06 and are specifically designed to defeat level III & level IV threats. We take pride in knowing that our body armor is used in the line of duty to keep Police Officers, EMTs, Sheriff Officers and other First Responders safe. We'd like to thank members of the Law Enforcement community and First Responders for the work they do every day to keep our streets safe!
- According to government data, during the last decade there were nearly 60,000 assaults a year on police officers.
- 20% of the officers who died from a gunshot wound to the torso while wearing body armor died because they were shot with ammunition that was more powerful than their body armor’s capability to stop it.
- Over one-third of law enforcement officer deaths over the last 10 years were caused by gunshots, making shootings the second leading cause of police officer death (after motor vehicle crashes).
- Armor vests have saved the lives of more than 3,000 law enforcement officers over the past three decades.
- 87 police officers in New York City alone have been saved by body armor since 1978.
- The chance of dying from a gunshot wound to the torso is 3.4 times higher for officers who do not wear armor vests.
- According to a survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 71% of local police departments in 2013 required officers to wear armor vests at all times.
- FBI data shows that 66 law enforcement officers were criminally killed in the line of duty in 2016.
- Of the 66 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2016, 62 were assaulted with firearms.
- According to the FBI, 33 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed with their own weapon in the 10 years.